In no particular order:
- The Firefighters has been shortlisted for Speech Pathology Australia's Book of the Year Award. You can view the shortlist here. As a former literacy teacher, this is sweet news indeed.
- It has also been listed by Brisbane's Book Garden Bookstore as one of the top ten books for children for the holidays at ourbrisbane.com.
- I received a great review for the Sugar Plum Fairy at Aussiereviews. The words "sheer delight" were kinda cool to read!
- Australian Women Online magazine did a feature article on me. How exciting is that! You can read it here.
- I received a lovely thank you letter and a whole pile of kid-made postcards from the kids at Rossmore Public School. I did a school visit there a few months ago and had a ball! What a great school, and what a wonderful surprise to receive in the post. Thanks, Mrs McGregor! Thanks kids!
Here are some snippets from the postcards:
"Thank you so much for coming to our school. We had a fun time when you were here. I've read 'Battle of the Rats'. It was gross but at the same time amazing. I think you are an amazing writer. I love 'Freaky'. I am reading it again ..." Tianna
"We really enjoyed the time you were here. I thought you were very funny." Taryn
"... I enjoyed making a book and hearing your stories ..." Andy
"... It was so funny I nearly died (which you wouldn't want me to do, I hope). Thank you very very much." Hunter
"... We learned many new writing skills and were inspired to write our own stories. One of my favourite parts was Cooking up Books because it was an easier way of remembering the writing process. It was fun and interesting. We are reading Battle of the Rats in Library and loving every minute of it." Lauren
Wow - doesn't get much better than that!
Now, on the down side, I have to admit to only adding 2 500 words to my current WIP during the last month. That will teach me for bragging about getting to 25 000!